Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Failure

So I have experienced my first failure of my R2 build experience (well not my first but my first on the A&A frame) it seems that JB Weld does not bond to the white ankle pieces. Very strange because it made such a great strong bond on the black elements.

When I removed the pieces from the clamps before attaching the screws I started to do some minor cleanup work with some sandpaper and much to my surprise all of the white components slide right off of each other. It was amazing because the JB Weld did not bind to either side so now I have some nice flat JB Weld models (thin ones) of the ankle components.

So now it is time for more R2 Experiments (as my boys like to call it) so I have grabbed some other types of glues and epoxy. Next I located some scrap pieces and bonded them together (hopefully) tomorrow I will check on the status to see what works and what did not.

The adhesives I am experimenting with:
Gorilla Glue
Gorilla Glue 2 Part Epoxy
Amazing Goop
Permatex 84101 General Purpose Epoxy

Tomorrow should reveal to me what works and what does not. (I hope)

No comments:

Post a Comment